Gas Safety At Home January 03, 2018 What is carbon monoxide? Carbon monoxide is an odourless, colourless gas that causes the accidental deaths of about 50 people and seriously injures nearly 200 people in the UK each year. Poisoning by carbon monoxide is almost certainly under-diagnosed, so many people may be suffering from symptoms without realising. Children, pregnant women and their babies and people with cardiovascular diseases are the most at risk. Because carbon monoxide has no smell, you may wish to install carbon monoxide detectors in your home as a safety measure. These detectors immediately let you know when there's a high amount of carbon monoxide in the air. Be sure to install detectors that meet the British or European safety standards. Learn how to stay safe at co-bealarmed.co.uk Let fresh air circulateIf you're using gas, oil or solid fuel appliances, don't block off ventilation in the rooms they're in. Fresh air needs to circulate for your appliances to be safe.The danger of gas leaksIt's important to know about the dangers of carbon monoxide and gas leaks: Carbon monoxide often comes from faulty gas appliances which have not been properly installed or maintained Some of the early signs of carbon monoxide poisoning are: tiredness, drowsiness, headaches, pains in the chest and stomach pains Carbon monoxide poisoning can result in lasting neurological damage. By having a gas safety check you will reduce the risk of these dangers. It's important to know about the safe use of gas appliances — stop using any gas appliances that you think are not working properly immediately. IF YOU SMELL GAS OR THINK YOU HAVE A GAS LEAK Call the National Grid emergency number on 0800 111 999. Lines are open 24 hours a day, every day, including bank holidays.